Everyone loves a good chocolate chip cookie recipe, right? Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, these cookies are the ultimate crowd pleaser. The tahini gives a wonderful nutty flavour and the chopped chocolate fills them to the brim with melty chocolatey goodness!
- 60g (1/2 cup) bread flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) whole grain spelt
- 100g (1/3 cup) sourdough starter
- 90g (7tbsp) butter
- 120g (120ml) tahini
- 95g (1/2 cup) white sugar
- 95g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 58g (1 whole) large egg
- 18g (1 whole) egg yolk
- 4g (1tsp) vanilla extract
- 4g (3/4tsp) baking soda
- 6g (1tsp) salt
- 280g (2 cups) chopped dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour salt and baking soda until combined.
- Using a stand mixer and the whisk attachment cream the butter and tahini together until smooth OR use your hand beaters for all steps.
- Add the white and brown sugar and continue whisking until light and smooth.
- Add the vanilla, whole egg and egg yolk and mix until combined.
- Switch to the paddle attachment on the mixer.
- Add in the sourdough starter and mix until JUST combined.
- Add in 1/3 of the flour and mix on 1st speed for a light incorporation about 1 minute.
- Add in the rest of the flour and mix until just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chunks using a spatula.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for one hour, or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/176°C.
- Remove from fridge and, using an ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto a sheet pan covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet (3 inches apart, usually 8 fit on a baking sheet)
- Bake for 12-15 mins, or until edges start to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- You can substitute other nut or seed butters in place of the tahini.
- You can use only all purpose flour or substitute another heritage grain for the spelt.
- While we prefer chopped chocolate chunks, you can use chocolate chips.
- For this recipe we are using a slightly overripe levain fed at 100% hydration.
- You can omit the sourdough and decrease the TOTAL flour to 150 grams.
Keywords: Sourdough Chocolate Chunk Cookies