The sweet peaches and cream corn pairs perfectly with the richness of the coconut milk. This soup is smooth, velvety, sweet and accentuated with a hint of lime. This soup is great hot or cold and freezes well for batch cooking.
- 6 cups of corn kernels from 12 cobbs fresh corn
- 45 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 3 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp salt (and more to taste)
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 2 cans coconut milk
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot. Add the onions and shallots then season with half the salt. Sweat the onions until lightly translucent, about 4-5 mins. Add the garlic and continue to cook another 2-3 mins. Add the corn and the rest of the salt and stir. Cook until all the corn is fragrant and appears to have a darker yellow colour, about 5 mins.
- Add the coconut milk to the pot and stir to combine. If the corn isn’t submerged in the liquid add some water and bring to a boil.
- Turn the pot down to a simmer and stir frequently to avoid burning. Continue to cook the soup for about 25 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
- Pour the soup into a high speed blender and purée until smooth.
- Optional: Once puréed, strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl.
- Finish the soup by adding salt and lime juice to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with toasted/chopped sunflower seeds, Thai basil, olive oil and roasted diced ancho chillies.
- Make sure to cook the onions and the corn until soft before adding your liquid. This is an important step that is often overlooked. By cooking the vegetables you will remove some of the water bringing out their natural sweetness and enhancing the flavour of your soup.
- While straining the soup is optional I highly recommend this step. By pushing it through a fine strainer you will ensure all the particles are the same size and create a much smoother more velvety texture.
- Play around with your garnishes! This soup would be great with toasted pumpkin seeds, jalapeños, croutons, or roasted corn kernels.
- You can make this soup year round with frozen corn or canned corn.
Keywords: Corn and coconut soup, fresh corn, vegan, gluten free, corn soup, soup