This introduction to sourdough recipe has a high amount of sourdough at almost 30% but is great for a quick homestyle loaf. This loaf is crisp and thin with a great contrast of flavour between crust and crumb.
For the Levain:
- 100 g bread flour
- 20 g whole wheat flour
- 120 g water
- 20 g levain
- 740 g bread flour
- 130 g whole wheat flour or other whole grain flour
- 650 g water
- 20 g salt
- 225 g liquid levain
For the Levain:
- Mix the flour, water and liquid starter together until fully combined. Let stand at room temperature 18-21C (65-70F) for 10-12 hours.
For the Dough:
- Add all ingredients, but 30g of water 26-27C (78-80F) and the levain into a large bowl. Mix until just combined and let the flour water mixture rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the levain to the bowl and mix with your hand until well just combined and let rest for 30-60 minutes.
- Using your hand like a claw, pinch in the rest of the salt and remaining water.
- Desired dough temperature – 26C/78F.
- Let the dough bulk ferment for 3 to 3.5 hours.
- Give the dough 3 folds after 60, 90 and 120 min.
- If the dough feels weak give it one more fold 30 minutes after the 3rd fold.
- At the end of the bulk fermentation the dough should have risen significantly, be light and airy and be slightly domed.
- Divide the dough according to your batch size.
- Pre shape the dough into rounds and bench rest for 30 minutes.
- Shape into boule or batard.
- Leave the dough on the counter for 20 minutes and then place it into the fridge overnight.
- The dough can stay in the fridge for 12-18 hours.
- Preheat a dutch oven in your oven on the highest setting.
- Flip the dough onto parchment and very carefully lower into the preheated dutch oven then immediately lower the oven temperature to 245C/470F
- Cook the bread for 35-40 minutes removing the lid to the dutch oven after 20 minutes.
- When finished tap the bottom to see if it sounds hollow. The bread should be light and look golden brown.
- Allow the bread to cool for at least 60 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: Sourdough, beginner sourdough, baking sourdough