Rich, decadent, fudgy — these double chocolate treats are everything you need in sourdough brownies! The combination of sourdough discard and rye flour make for a wonderful texture that is perfectly soft and cakey on the outside and gooey on the inside. Time to get baking!
- 100 grams All purpose flour
- 30 grams Rye flour
- 125 grams Sourdough starter
- 151 grams Butter
- 400 grams chocolate
- 226 grams Eggs (4 whole)
- 50 grams dutched cocoa powder
- 153 grams white sugar
- 153 grams packed brown sugar
- 5 grams vanilla paste or extract
- 3 grams of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9″x 9″ baking dish or pan with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. To do this, ddd about 3 inches of water into a small pot and boil on high. Add chocolate to a heat proof bowl and set on top of the pot of boiling water, making sure it does not touch the water. Turn heat down to medium high. Mix constantly until chocolate is fully melted. Remove bowl from heat and set aside.
- Sift the flours and cocoa powder into a small mixing bowl. Add the rye bran back in (it would have sifted out). Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugars, salt, and vanilla. Using a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until the mixture thickens and becomes pale in color and falls from the beater in a wide ribbon that folds back on itself and slowly dissolves on the surface, this should take around 5 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the sourdough discard to the chocolate. Once incorporated, fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Add the flour and fold it in quickly but gently with the rubber spatula so that you don’t deflate the air that’s been incorporated into the eggs.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and smooth the top with a spatula. At this point, feel free to top with nuts or chocolate chips. Bake until the top looks slightly cracked and feels soft to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. NOTE: a cake tester or toothpick will not work to check doneness for this recipe due to the gooeyness of the brownies.
Keywords: sourdough brownies