Super moist and delicious honey cake with a hint of apple and the most wonderful warm spiced aroma. This will be your new favourite Fall loaf!
For the cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 1 tsp if using freshly grated)
- 1/2 tsp ground all-spice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee or tea
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 apple, grated
- *optional add-ins: 1 cup raisins and/or 1 cup chopped nuts
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners (icing) sugar
- 2–3 tbsp. milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder and baking soda, spices and salt.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the oil, coffee or tea, brown sugar and honey on medium speed until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla. Don’t forget to scrape down the bowl when necessary. Change speed to low and slowly add in the flour mixture. Mix just until combined, be careful not to over mix.
- Using a spatula, fold in the grated apple and any additions you are using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake approx 45 mins or until golden brown and the cake springs back to the touch. Test doneness by inserting a cake tester or toothpick and look for the cake tester to come out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the cake from the cake pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or 7 days in the fridge. This cake also freezes well.
For the glaze:
- Using a whisk or a hand mixer, mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- *Optional: Add another 1-2 tbsp. of milk or cream to achieve a runnier consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled loaf.
Keywords: spelt honey cake